- (n.) One who has begotten a child, whether son or daughter; a generator; a male parent.
- (n.) A male ancestor more remote than a parent; a progenitor; especially, a first ancestor; a founder of a race or family; -- in the plural, fathers, ancestors.
- (n.) One who performs the offices of a parent by maintenance, affetionate care, counsel, or protection.
- (n.) A respectful mode of address to an old man.
- (n.) A senator of ancient Rome.
- (n.) A dignitary of the church, a superior of a convent, a confessor (called also father confessor), or a priest; also, the eldest member of a profession, or of a legislative assembly, etc.
- (n.) One of the chief esslesiastical authorities of the first centuries after Christ; -- often spoken of collectively as the Fathers; as, the Latin, Greek, or apostolic Fathers.
- (n.) One who, or that which, gives origin; an originator; a producer, author, or contriver; the first to practice any art, profession, or occupation; a distinguished example or teacher.
- (n.) The Supreme Being and Creator; God; in theology, the first person in the Trinity.
- (v. t.) To make one's self the father of; to beget.
- (v. t.) To take as one's own child; to adopt; hence, to assume as one's own work; to acknowledge one's self author of or responsible for (a statement, policy, etc.).
- (v. t.) To provide with a father.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A caviler; a wrangler.