Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: HANG
- (n.) The manner in which one part or thing hangs upon, or is connected with, another; as, the hang of a scythe.
- (n.) Connection; arrangement; plan; as, the hang of a discourse.
- (n.) A sharp or steep declivity or slope.
- (v. i.) To suspend; to fasten to some elevated point without support from below; -- often used with up or out; as, to hang a coat on a hook; to hang up a sign; to hang out a banner.
- (v. i.) To fasten in a manner which will allow of free motion upon the point or points of suspension; -- said of a pendulum, a swing, a door, gate, etc.
- (v. i.) To fit properly, as at a proper angle (a part of an implement that is swung in using), as a scythe to its snath, or an ax to its helve.
- (v. i.) To put to death by suspending by the neck; -- a form of capital punishment; as, to hang a murderer.
- (v. i.) To cover, decorate, or furnish by hanging pictures trophies, drapery, and the like, or by covering with paper hangings; -- said of a wall, a room, etc.
- (v. i.) To paste, as paper hangings, on the walls of a room.
- (v. i.) To hold or bear in a suspended or inclined manner or position instead of erect; to droop; as, he hung his head in shame.
- (v. i.) To be suspended or fastened to some elevated point without support from below; to dangle; to float; to rest; to remain; to stay.
- (v. i.) To be fastened in such a manner as to allow of free motion on the point or points of suspension.
- (v. i.) To die or be put to death by suspension from the neck.
- (v. i.) To hold for support; to depend; to cling; -- usually with on or upon; as, this question hangs on a single point.
- (v. i.) To be, or be like, a suspended weight.
- (v. i.) To hover; to impend; to appear threateningly; -- usually with over; as, evils hang over the country.
- (v. i.) To lean or incline; to incline downward.
- (v. i.) To slope down; as, hanging grounds.
- (v. i.) To be undetermined or uncertain; to be in suspense; to linger; to be delayed.