- (n.) The globe or planet which we inhabit; the world, in distinction from the sun, moon, or stars. Also, this world as the dwelling place of mortals, in distinction from the dwelling place of spirits.
- (n.) The solid materials which make up the globe, in distinction from the air or water; the dry land.
- (n.) The softer inorganic matter composing part of the surface of the globe, in distinction from the firm rock; soil of all kinds, including gravel, clay, loam, and the like; sometimes, soil favorable to the growth of plants; the visible surface of the globe; the ground; as, loose earth; rich earth.
- (n.) A part of this globe; a region; a country; land.
- (n.) Worldly things, as opposed to spiritual things; the pursuits, interests, and allurements of this life.
- (n.) The people on the globe.
- (n.) Any earthy-looking metallic oxide, as alumina, glucina, zirconia, yttria, and thoria.
- (n.) A similar oxide, having a slight alkaline reaction, as lime, magnesia, strontia, baryta.
- (n.) A hole in the ground, where an animal hides himself; as, the earth of a fox.
- (v. t.) To hide, or cause to hide, in the earth; to chase into a burrow or den.
- (v. t.) To cover with earth or mold; to inter; to bury; -- sometimes with up.
- (v. i.) To burrow.
- (n.) A plowing.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: HATER
- (n.) One who hates.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- United States writer noted for his stories about life during the California gold rush (1836-1902)
- (n.) A hollow, muscular organ, which, by contracting rhythmically, keeps up the circulation of the blood.
- (n.) The seat of the affections or sensibilities, collectively or separately, as love, hate, joy, grief, courage, and the like; rarely, the seat of the understanding or will; -- usually in a good sense, when no epithet is expressed; the better or lovelier part of our nature; the spring of all our actions and purposes; the seat of moral life and character; the moral affections and character itself; the individual disposition and character; as, a good, tender, loving, bad, hard, or selfish heart.
- (n.) The nearest the middle or center; the part most hidden and within; the inmost or most essential part of any body or system; the source of life and motion in any organization; the chief or vital portion; the center of activity, or of energetic or efficient action; as, the heart of a country, of a tree, etc.
- (n.) Courage; courageous purpose; spirit.
- (n.) Vigorous and efficient activity; power of fertile production; condition of the soil, whether good or bad.
- (n.) That which resembles a heart in shape; especially, a roundish or oval figure or object having an obtuse point at one end, and at the other a corresponding indentation, -- used as a symbol or representative of the heart.
- (n.) One of a series of playing cards, distinguished by the figure or figures of a heart; as, hearts are trumps.
- (n.) Vital part; secret meaning; real intention.
- (n.) A term of affectionate or kindly and familiar address.
- (v. t.) To give heart to; to hearten; to encourage; to inspirit.
- (v. i.) To form a compact center or heart; as, a hearting cabbage.
- A city in northwestern Afghanistan on the site of several ancient cities
- (a.) Coming before others, or before the usual time; early.
- (adv.) Early; soon; betimes.