- Obs. p. p. of Shave.
- (v. t.) To cut or pare off from the surface of a body with a razor or other edged instrument; to cut off closely, as with a razor; as, to shave the beard.
- (v. t.) To make bare or smooth by cutting off closely the surface, or surface covering, of; especially, to remove the hair from with a razor or other sharp instrument; to take off the beard or hair of; as, to shave the face or the crown of the head; he shaved himself.
- (v. t.) To cut off thin slices from; to cut in thin slices.
- (v. t.) To skim along or near the surface of; to pass close to, or touch lightly, in passing.
- (v. t.) To strip; to plunder; to fleece.
- (v. i.) To use a razor for removing the beard; to cut closely; hence, to be hard and severe in a bargain; to practice extortion; to cheat.
- (v. t.) A thin slice; a shaving.
- (v. t.) A cutting of the beard; the operation of shaving.
- (v. t.) An exorbitant discount on a note.
- (v. t.) A premium paid for an extension of the time of delivery or payment, or for the right to vary a stock contract in any particular.
- (v. t.) A hand tool consisting of a sharp blade with a handle at each end; a drawing knife; a spokeshave.
- (v. t.) The act of passing very near to, so as almost to graze; as, the bullet missed by a close shave.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: HAVES
- A person who possesses great material wealth