- (n.) One who has begotten a child, whether son or daughter; a generator; a male parent.
- (n.) A male ancestor more remote than a parent; a progenitor; especially, a first ancestor; a founder of a race or family; -- in the plural, fathers, ancestors.
- (n.) One who performs the offices of a parent by maintenance, affetionate care, counsel, or protection.
- (n.) A respectful mode of address to an old man.
- (n.) A senator of ancient Rome.
- (n.) A dignitary of the church, a superior of a convent, a confessor (called also father confessor), or a priest; also, the eldest member of a profession, or of a legislative assembly, etc.
- (n.) One of the chief esslesiastical authorities of the first centuries after Christ; -- often spoken of collectively as the Fathers; as, the Latin, Greek, or apostolic Fathers.
- (n.) One who, or that which, gives origin; an originator; a producer, author, or contriver; the first to practice any art, profession, or occupation; a distinguished example or teacher.
- (n.) The Supreme Being and Creator; God; in theology, the first person in the Trinity.
- (v. t.) To make one's self the father of; to beget.
- (v. t.) To take as one's own child; to adopt; hence, to assume as one's own work; to acknowledge one's self author of or responsible for (a statement, policy, etc.).
- (v. t.) To provide with a father.
Stuck on a crossword puzzle or Wordle answer?
Enter the word you are trying to solve in the box below, using question marks in place of the letter(s) you don't know.
New! You can also search for definitions and anagrams by typing in a word without any question marks.
- (n.) A caviler; a wrangler.