- (pron.) See Here, pron.
- (n.) The price, reward, or compensation paid, or contracted to be paid, for the temporary use of a thing or a place, for personal service, or for labor; wages; rent; pay.
- (n.) A bailment by which the use of a thing, or the services and labor of a person, are contracted for at a certain price or reward.
- (n.) To procure (any chattel or estate) from another person, for temporary use, for a compensation or equivalent; to purchase the use or enjoyment of for a limited time; as, to hire a farm for a year; to hire money.
- (n.) To engage or purchase the service, labor, or interest of (any one) for a specific purpose, by payment of wages; as, to hire a servant, an agent, or an advocate.
- (n.) To grant the temporary use of, for compensation; to engage to give the service of, for a price; to let; to lease; -- now usually with out, and often reflexively; as, he has hired out his horse, or his time.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: HEIR
- (n.) One who inherits, or is entitled to succeed to the possession of, any property after the death of its owner; one on whom the law bestows the title or property of another at the death of the latter.
- (n.) One who receives any endowment from an ancestor or relation; as, the heir of one's reputation or virtues.
- (v. t.) To inherit; to succeed to.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!