Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: HEM
- (interj.) An onomatopoetic word used as an expression of hesitation, doubt, etc. It is often a sort of voluntary half cough, loud or subdued, and would perhaps be better expressed by hm.
- (n.) An utterance or sound of the voice, hem or hm, often indicative of hesitation or doubt, sometimes used to call attention.
- (n.) The edge or border of a garment or cloth, doubled over and sewed, to strengthen raveling.
- (n.) Border; edge; margin.
- (n.) A border made on sheet-metal ware by doubling over the edge of the sheet, to stiffen it and remove the sharp edge.
- (pron.) Them
- (v. i.) To make the sound expressed by the word hem; hence, to hesitate in speaking.
- (v. t.) To form a hem or border to; to fold and sew down the edge of.
- (v. t.) To border; to edge