- (adv.) At what time; -- used interrogatively.
- (adv.) At what time; at, during, or after the time that; at or just after, the moment that; -- used relatively.
- (adv.) While; whereas; although; -- used in the manner of a conjunction to introduce a dependent adverbial sentence or clause, having a causal, conditional, or adversative relation to the principal proposition; as, he chose to turn highwayman when he might have continued an honest man; he removed the tree when it was the best in the grounds.
- (adv.) Which time; then; -- used elliptically as a noun.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: HEWN
- Of Hew
- (a.) Felled, cut, or shaped as with an ax; roughly squared; as, a house built of hewn logs.
- (a.) Roughly dressed as with a hammer; as, hewn stone.