Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: HISS
- (n.) A prolonged sound like that letter s, made by forcing out the breath between the tongue and teeth, esp. as a token of disapprobation or contempt.
- (n.) Any sound resembling that above described
- (n.) The noise made by a serpent.
- (n.) The note of a goose when irritated.
- (n.) The noise made by steam escaping through a narrow orifice, or by water falling on a hot stove.
- (v. i.) To make with the mouth a prolonged sound like that of the letter s, by driving the breath between the tongue and the teeth; to make with the mouth a sound like that made by a goose or a snake when angered; esp., to make such a sound as an expression of hatred, passion, or disapproval.
- (v. i.) To make a similar noise by any means; to pass with a sibilant sound; as, the arrow hissed as it flew.
- (v. t.) To condemn or express contempt for by hissing.
- (v. t.) To utter with a hissing sound.