- (pl.) of Hose
- (n.) Close-fitting trousers or breeches, as formerly worn, reaching to the knee.
- (n.) Covering for the feet and lower part of the legs; a stocking or stockings.
- (n.) A flexible pipe, made of leather, India rubber, or other material, and used for conveying fluids, especially water, from a faucet, hydrant, or fire engine.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: HOES
- Dig with a hoe; "He is hoeing the flower beds"
- A tool with a flat blade attached at right angles to a long handle
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A covering for the human foot, usually made of leather, having a thick and somewhat stiff sole and a lighter top. It differs from a boot on not extending so far up the leg.
- (n.) Anything resembling a shoe in form, position, or use.
- (n.) A plate or rim of iron nailed to the hoof of an animal to defend it from injury.
- (n.) A band of iron or steel, or a ship of wood, fastened to the bottom of the runner of a sleigh, or any vehicle which slides on the snow.
- (n.) A drag, or sliding piece of wood or iron, placed under the wheel of a loaded vehicle, to retard its motion in going down a hill.
- (n.) The part of a railroad car brake which presses upon the wheel to retard its motion.
- (n.) A trough-shaped or spout-shaped member, put at the bottom of the water leader coming from the eaves gutter, so as to throw the water off from the building.
- (n.) The trough or spout for conveying the grain from the hopper to the eye of the millstone.
- (n.) An inclined trough in an ore-crushing mill.
- (n.) An iron socket or plate to take the thrust of a strut or rafter.
- (n.) An iron socket to protect the point of a wooden pile.
- (n.) A plate, or notched piece, interposed between a moving part and the stationary part on which it bears, to take the wear and afford means of adjustment; -- called also slipper, and gib.
- (n.) To furnish with a shoe or shoes; to put a shoe or shoes on; as, to shoe a horse, a sled, an anchor.
- (n.) To protect or ornament with something which serves the purpose of a shoe; to tip.