Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: HOIST
- (n.) That by which anything is hoisted; the apparatus for lifting goods.
- (n.) The act of hoisting; a lift.
- (n.) The perpendicular height of a flag, as opposed to the fly, or horizontal length when flying from a staff.
- (n.) The height of a fore-and-aft sail next the mast or stay.
- (p. p.) Hoisted.
- (v. t.) To raise; to lift; to elevate; esp., to raise or lift to a desired elevation, by means of tackle, as a sail, a flag, a heavy package or weight.