Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: HOOD
- (n.) State; condition.
- (n.) A covering or garment for the head or the head and shoulders, often attached to the body garment
- (n.) A soft covering for the head, worn by women, which leaves only the face exposed.
- (n.) A part of a monk's outer garment, with which he covers his head; a cowl.
- (n.) A like appendage to a cloak or loose overcoat, that may be drawn up over the head at pleasure.
- (n.) An ornamental fold at the back of an academic gown or ecclesiastical vestment; as, a master's hood.
- (n.) A covering for a horse's head.
- (n.) A covering for a hawk's head and eyes. See Illust. of Falcon.
- (n.) Anything resembling a hood in form or use
- (n.) The top or head of a carriage.
- (n.) A chimney top, often contrived to secure a constant draught by turning with the wind.
- (n.) A projecting cover above a hearth, forming the upper part of the fireplace, and confining the smoke to the flue.
- (n.) The top of a pump.
- (n.) A covering for a mortar.
- (n.) The hood-shaped upper petal of some flowers, as of monkshood; -- called also helmet.
- (n.) A covering or porch for a companion hatch.
- (n.) The endmost plank of a strake which reaches the stem or stern.
- (v. t.) To cover with a hood; to furnish with a hood or hood-shaped appendage.
- (v. t.) To cover; to hide; to blind.