Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: HOOK
- (n.) A piece of metal, or other hard material, formed or bent into a curve or at an angle, for catching, holding, or sustaining anything; as, a hook for catching fish; a hook for fastening a gate; a boat hook, etc.
- (n.) That part of a hinge which is fixed to a post, and on which a door or gate hangs and turns.
- (n.) An implement for cutting grass or grain; a sickle; an instrument for cutting or lopping; a billhook.
- (n.) See Eccentric, and V-hook.
- (n.) A snare; a trap.
- (n.) A field sown two years in succession.
- (n.) The projecting points of the thigh bones of cattle; -- called also hook bones.
- (v. i.) To bend; to curve as a hook.
- (v. t.) To catch or fasten with a hook or hooks; to seize, capture, or hold, as with a hook, esp. with a disguised or baited hook; hence, to secure by allurement or artifice; to entrap; to catch; as, to hook a dress; to hook a trout.
- (v. t.) To seize or pierce with the points of the horns, as cattle in attacking enemies; to gore.
- (v. t.) To steal.