- (v. t.) To encourage.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: HORNET
- (n.) A large, strong wasp. The European species (Vespa crabro) is of a dark brown and yellow color. It is very pugnacious, and its sting is very severe. Its nest is constructed of a paperlike material, and the layers of comb are hung together by columns. The American white-faced hornet (V. maculata) is larger and has similar habits.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (conj.) Neither; nor.
- (n.) A chair of state, commonly a royal seat, but sometimes the seat of a prince, bishop, or other high dignitary.
- (n.) Hence, sovereign power and dignity; also, the one who occupies a throne, or is invested with sovereign authority; an exalted or dignified personage.
- (n.) A high order of angels in the celestial hierarchy; -- a meaning given by the schoolmen.
- (v. t.) To place on a royal seat; to enthrone.
- (v. t.) To place in an elevated position; to give sovereignty or dominion to; to exalt.
- (v. i.) To be in, or sit upon, a throne; to be placed as if upon a throne.