- (imp. & p. p.) of Shut
- (v. t.) To close so as to hinder ingress or egress; as, to shut a door or a gate; to shut one's eyes or mouth.
- (v. t.) To forbid entrance into; to prohibit; to bar; as, to shut the ports of a country by a blockade.
- (v. t.) To preclude; to exclude; to bar out.
- (v. t.) To fold together; to close over, as the fingers; to close by bringing the parts together; as, to shut the hand; to shut a book.
- (v. i.) To close itself; to become closed; as, the door shuts; it shuts hard.
- (a.) Closed or fastened; as, a shut door.
- (a.) Rid; clear; free; as, to get shut of a person.
- (a.) Formed by complete closure of the mouth passage, and with the nose passage remaining closed; stopped, as are the mute consonants, p, t, k, b, d, and hard g.
- (a.) Cut off sharply and abruptly by a following consonant in the same syllable, as the English short vowels, /, /, /, /, /, always are.
- (n.) The act or time of shutting; close; as, the shut of a door.
- (n.) A door or cover; a shutter.
- (n.) The line or place where two pieces of metal are united by welding.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: HUTS
- Small crude shelter used as a dwelling
- Temporary military shelter
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) The commoner kind of frankincense, or that obtained from the Norway spruce, the long-leaved pine, and other conifers.
- (adv.) In this or that manner; on this wise.
- (adv.) To this degree or extent; so far; so; as, thus wise; thus peaceble; thus bold.
- (interj.) An exclamation indicating check, rebuke, or contempt; as, tush, tush! do not speak of it.
- (n.) A long, pointed tooth; a tusk; -- applied especially to certain teeth of horses.