- (n.) The lower extremity of the face below the mouth; the point of the under jaw.
- (n.) The exterior or under surface embraced between the branches of the lower jaw bone, in birds.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: INCH
- (a.) Measurement an inch in any dimension, whether length, breadth, or thickness; -- used in composition; as, a two-inch cable; a four-inch plank.
- (n.) An island; -- often used in the names of small islands off the coast of Scotland, as in Inchcolm, Inchkeith, etc.
- (n.) A measure of length, the twelfth part of a foot, commonly subdivided into halves, quarters, eights, sixteenths, etc., as among mechanics. It was also formerly divided into twelve parts, called lines, and originally into three parts, called barleycorns, its length supposed to have been determined from three grains of barley placed end to end lengthwise. It is also sometimes called a prime ('), composed of twelve seconds (''), as in the duodecimal system of arithmetic.
- (n.) A small distance or degree, whether of time or space; hence, a critical moment.
- (v. i.) To advance or retire by inches or small degrees; to move slowly.
- (v. t.) To drive by inches, or small degrees.
- (v. t.) To deal out by inches; to give sparingly.