Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: INDRA
- Chief Hindu god of the Rig-Veda; god of rain and thunder
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A petty money of accounts of Persia.
- (n.) An ancient gold coin of the East.
- (v. t.) To draw off by degrees; to cause to flow gradually out or off; hence, to cause the exhaustion of.
- (v. t.) To exhaust of liquid contents by drawing them off; to make gradually dry or empty; to remove surface water, as from streets, by gutters, etc.; to deprive of moisture; hence, to exhaust; to empty of wealth, resources, or the like; as, to drain a country of its specie.
- (v. t.) To filter.
- (v. i.) To flow gradually; as, the water of low ground drains off.
- (v. i.) To become emptied of liquor by flowing or dropping; as, let the vessel stand and drain.
- (n.) The act of draining, or of drawing off; gradual and continuous outflow or withdrawal; as, the drain of specie from a country.
- (n.) That means of which anything is drained; a channel; a trench; a water course; a sewer; a sink.
- (n.) The grain from the mashing tub; as, brewers' drains.
- (n.) That point of the heavens, or lower hemisphere, directly opposite the zenith; the inferior pole of the horizon; the point of the celestial sphere directly under the place where we stand.
- (n.) The lowest point; the time of greatest depression.