Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: INVEST
- (v. i.) To make an investment; as, to invest in stocks; -- usually followed by in.
- (v. t.) To put garments on; to clothe; to dress; to array; -- opposed to divest. Usually followed by with, sometimes by in; as, to invest one with a robe.
- (v. t.) To put on.
- (v. t.) To clothe, as with office or authority; to place in possession of rank, dignity, or estate; to endow; to adorn; to grace; to bedeck; as, to invest with honor or glory; to invest with an estate.
- (v. t.) To surround, accompany, or attend.
- (v. t.) To confer; to give.
- (v. t.) To inclose; to surround of hem in with troops, so as to intercept succors of men and provisions and prevent escape; to lay siege to; as, to invest a town.
- (v. t.) To lay out (money or capital) in business with the /iew of obtaining an income or profit; as, to invest money in bank stock.