- (n.) To advance on loan.
- (v. t.) A kind of earnest money; loan; -- specifically, money advanced for some public service, as in enlistment.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- A legal document giving official permission to do something
- Consent to, give permission; "She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"; "I won't let the police search her basement"; "I cannot allow you to see your exam"
- Make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen; "This permits the water to rush in"; "This sealed door won't allow the water come into the basement"; "This will permit the rain to run off"
- The act of giving a formal (usually written) authorization
- Large game fish; found in waters of the West Indies