Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: LADY
- The day of the annunciation of the Virgin Mary, March 25. See Annunciation.
- (a.) Belonging or becoming to a lady; ladylike.
- (n.) A woman who looks after the domestic affairs of a family; a mistress; the female head of a household.
- (n.) A woman having proprietary rights or authority; mistress; -- a feminine correlative of lord.
- (n.) A woman to whom the particular homage of a knight was paid; a woman to whom one is devoted or bound; a sweetheart.
- (n.) A woman of social distinction or position. In England, a title prefixed to the name of any woman whose husband is not of lower rank than a baron, or whose father was a nobleman not lower than an earl. The wife of a baronet or knight has the title of Lady by courtesy, but not by right.
- (n.) A woman of refined or gentle manners; a well-bred woman; -- the feminine correlative of gentleman.
- (n.) A wife; -- not now in approved usage.
- (n.) The triturating apparatus in the stomach of a lobster; -- so called from a fancied resemblance to a seated female figure. It consists of calcareous plates.