- (v. t.) To put to death with a weapon, or by violence; hence, to kill; to put an end to; to destroy.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: LAYS
- A narrative poem of popular origin
- A narrative song with a recurrent refrain
- Put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"
- Put in a horizontal position; "lay the books on the table"; "lay the patient carefully onto the bed"
- Lay eggs; "This hen doesn't lay"
- Prepare or position for action or operation; "lay a fire"; "lay the foundation for a new health care plan"
- Impose as a duty, burden, or punishment; "lay a responsibility on someone"