- (adv.) Soon; in good season; seasonably; betimes; as, come early.
- (adv.) In advance of the usual or appointed time; in good season; prior in time; among or near the first; -- opposed to late; as, the early bird; an early spring; early fruit.
- (adv.) Coming in the first part of a period of time, or among the first of successive acts, events, etc.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: LEARY
- United States psychologist who experimented with psychoactive drugs (including LSD) and became a well-known advocate of their use (1920-1996)
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) One who, or that which, lays.
- (n.) That which is laid; a stratum; a bed; one thickness, course, or fold laid over another; as, a layer of clay or of sand in the earth; a layer of bricks, or of plaster; the layers of an onion.
- (n.) A shoot or twig of a plant, not detached from the stock, laid under ground for growth or propagation.
- (n.) An artificial oyster bed.
- (v. t.) To lay again; to lay a second time; as, to relay a pavement.
- (n.) A supply of anything arranged beforehand for affording relief from time to time, or at successive stages; provision for successive relief.
- (n.) A supply of horses placced at stations to be in readiness to relieve others, so that a trveler may proceed without delay.
- (n.) A supply of hunting dogs or horses kept in readiness at certain places to relive the tired dogs or horses, and to continue the pursuit of the game if it comes that way.
- (n.) A number of men who relieve others in carrying on some work.
- (n.) In various forms of telegraphic apparatus, a magnet which receives the circuit current, and is caused by it to bring into into action the power of a local battery for performing the work of making the record; also, a similar device by which the current in one circuit is made to open or close another circuit in which a current is passing.