- (n.) The European wild or whistling swan (Cygnus ferus).
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: LEEK
- (n.) A plant of the genus Allium (A. Porrum), having broadly linear succulent leaves rising from a loose oblong cylindrical bulb. The flavor is stronger than that of the common onion.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t. & i.) To cool; to skim or stir.
- (n.) A brewer's cooling vat; a keelfat.
- (n.) A longitudinal timber, or series of timbers scarfed together, extending from stem to stern along the bottom of a vessel. It is the principal timber of the vessel, and, by means of the ribs attached on each side, supports the vessel's frame. In an iron vessel, a combination of plates supplies the place of the keel of a wooden ship. See Illust. of Keelson.
- (n.) Fig.: The whole ship.
- (n.) A barge or lighter, used on the Type for carrying coal from Newcastle; also, a barge load of coal, twenty-one tons, four cwt.
- (n.) The two lowest petals of the corolla of a papilionaceous flower, united and inclosing the stamens and pistil; a carina. See Carina.
- (n.) A projecting ridge along the middle of a flat or curved surface.
- (v. i.) To traverse with a keel; to navigate.
- (v. i.) To turn up the keel; to show the bottom.
- (v. t.) To cool.
- Swiss painter influenced by Kandinsky (1879-1940)