Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: LETTER
- (n.) One who lets or permits; one who lets anything for hire.
- (n.) One who retards or hinders.
- (n.) A mark or character used as the representative of a sound, or of an articulation of the human organs of speech; a first element of written language.
- (n.) A written or printed communication; a message expressed in intelligible characters on something adapted to conveyance, as paper, parchment, etc.; an epistle.
- (n.) A writing; an inscription.
- (n.) Verbal expression; literal statement or meaning; exact signification or requirement.
- (n.) A single type; type, collectively; a style of type.
- (n.) Learning; erudition; as, a man of letters.
- (n.) A letter; an epistle.
- (v. t.) To impress with letters; to mark with letters or words; as, a book gilt and lettered.