- (n.) One who settles, becomes fixed, established, etc.
- (n.) Especially, one who establishes himself in a new region or a colony; a colonist; a planter; as, the first settlers of New England.
- (n.) That which settles or finishes; hence, a blow, etc., which settles or decides a contest.
- (n.) A vessel, as a tub, in which something, as pulverized ore suspended in a liquid, is allowed to settle.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: LETTERS
- A written message addressed to a person or organization; "mailed an indignant letter to the editor"
- An award earned by participation in a school sport; "he won letters in three sports"
- The conventional characters of the alphabet used to represent speech; "his grandmother taught him his letters"
- A strictly literal interpretation (as distinct from the intention); "he followed instructions to the letter"; "he obeyed the letter of the law"
- Owner who lets another person use something (housing usually) for hire
- The literary culture; "this book shows American letters at its best"
- Scholarly attainment; "he is a man of letters"
- Mark letters on or mark with letters
- Set down or print with letters
- Win an athletic letter
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A small sturgeon (Acipenser ruthenus) found in the Caspian Sea and its rivers, and highly esteemed for its flavor. The finest caviare is made from its roe.
- (n.) A movable frame or support for anything, as scaffolding, consisting of three or four legs secured to a top piece, and forming a sort of stool or horse, used by carpenters, masons, and other workmen; also, a kind of framework of strong posts or piles, and crossbeams, for supporting a bridge, the track of a railway, or the like.
- (n.) The frame of a table.