Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: LIBEL
- (n.) A brief writing of any kind, esp. a declaration, bill, certificate, request, supplication, etc.
- (n.) Any defamatory writing; a lampoon; a satire.
- (n.) A malicious publication expressed either in print or in writing, or by pictures, effigies, or other signs, tending to expose another to public hatred, contempt, or ridicule. Such publication is indictable at common law.
- (n.) The crime of issuing a malicious defamatory publication.
- (n.) A written declaration or statement by the plaintiff of his cause of action, and of the relief he seeks.
- (v. i.) To spread defamation, written or printed; -- with against.
- (v. t.) To defame, or expose to public hatred, contempt, or ridicule, by a writing, picture, sign, etc.; to lampoon.
- (v. t.) To proceed against by filing a libel, particularly against a ship or goods.