- (adv.) Motionless; at rest; quiet; as, to stand still; to lie or sit still.
- (adv.) Uttering no sound; silent; as, the audience is still; the animals are still.
- (adv.) Not disturbed by noise or agitation; quiet; calm; as, a still evening; a still atmosphere.
- (adv.) Comparatively quiet or silent; soft; gentle; low.
- (adv.) Constant; continual.
- (adv.) Not effervescing; not sparkling; as, still wines.
- (n.) Freedom from noise; calm; silence; as, the still of midnight.
- (n.) A steep hill or ascent.
- (a.) To this time; until and during the time now present; now no less than before; yet.
- (a.) In the future as now and before.
- (a.) In continuation by successive or repeated acts; always; ever; constantly; uniformly.
- (a.) In an increasing or additional degree; even more; -- much used with comparatives.
- (a.) Notwithstanding what has been said or done; in spite of what has occured; nevertheless; -- sometimes used as a conjunction. See Synonym of But.
- (a.) After that; after what is stated.
- (a.) To stop, as motion or agitation; to cause to become quiet, or comparatively quiet; to check the agitation of; as, to still the raging sea.
- (a.) To stop, as noise; to silence.
- (a.) To appease; to calm; to quiet, as tumult, agitation, or excitement; as, to still the passions.
- (v.) A vessel, boiler, or copper used in the distillation of liquids; specifically, one used for the distillation of alcoholic liquors; a retort. The name is sometimes applied to the whole apparatus used in in vaporization and condensation.
- (v.) A house where liquors are distilled; a distillery.
- (v. t.) To cause to fall by drops.
- (v. t.) To expel spirit from by heat, or to evaporate and condense in a refrigeratory; to distill.
- (v. i.) To drop, or flow in drops; to distill.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: LILTS
- A jaunty rhythm in music
- Articulate in a very careful and rhythmic way
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- Work land as by ploughing, harrowing, and manuring, in order to make it ready for cultivation; "till the soil"
- A strongbox for holding cash
- A treasury for government funds
- Unstratified soil deposited by a glacier; consists of sand and clay and gravel and boulders mixed together