- (v. t.) An instrument for throwing stones or other missiles, consisting of a short strap with two strings fastened to its ends, or with a string fastened to one end and a light stick to the other. The missile being lodged in a hole in the strap, the ends of the string are taken in the hand, and the whole whirled rapidly round until, by loosing one end, the missile is let fly with centrifugal force.
- (v. t.) The act or motion of hurling as with a sling; a throw; figuratively, a stroke.
- (v. t.) A contrivance for sustaining anything by suspension
- (v. t.) A kind of hanging bandage put around the neck, in which a wounded arm or hand is supported.
- (v. t.) A loop of rope, or a rope or chain with hooks, for suspending a barrel, bale, or other heavy object, in hoisting or lowering.
- (v. t.) A strap attached to a firearm, for suspending it from the shoulder.
- (v. t.) A band of rope or iron for securing a yard to a mast; -- chiefly in the plural.
- (v. t.) To throw with a sling.
- (v. t.) To throw; to hurl; to cast.
- (v. t.) To hang so as to swing; as, to sling a pack.
- (v. t.) To pass a rope round, as a cask, gun, etc., preparatory to attaching a hoisting or lowering tackle.
- (n.) A drink composed of spirit (usually gin) and water sweetened.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: LINGS
- Elongate freshwater cod of northern Europe and Asia and North America having barbels around its mouth
- American hakes
- Elongated marine food fish of Greenland and northern Europe; often salted and dried
- Common Old World heath represented by many varieties; low evergreen grown widely in the northern hemisphere
- Water chestnut whose spiny fruit has two rather than 4 prongs