- (n.) Alt. of Arillus
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: LIRA
- (n.) An Italian coin equivalent in value to the French franc.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A place in which to lie or rest; especially, the bed or couch of a wild beast.
- (n.) A burying place.
- (n.) A pasture; sometimes, food.
- (n.) A person who knowingly utters falsehood; one who lies.
- (n.) An outer cloak or covering; a neckerchief for women.
- (v. i.) To flow forth; to roll out; to course.
- (n.) A bar of timber or metal, usually horizontal or nearly so, extending from one post or support to another, as in fences, balustrades, staircases, etc.
- (n.) A horizontal piece in a frame or paneling. See Illust. of Style.
- (n.) A bar of steel or iron, forming part of the track on which the wheels roll. It is usually shaped with reference to vertical strength, and is held in place by chairs, splices, etc.
- (n.) The stout, narrow plank that forms the top of the bulwarks.
- (n.) The light, fencelike structures of wood or metal at the break of the deck, and elsewhere where such protection is needed.
- (v. t.) To inclose with rails or a railing.
- (v. t.) To range in a line.
- (v.) Any one of numerous species of limicoline birds of the family Rallidae, especially those of the genus Rallus, and of closely allied genera. They are prized as game birds.
- (v. i.) To use insolent and reproachful language; to utter reproaches; to scoff; -- followed by at or against, formerly by on.
- (v. t.) To rail at.
- (v. t.) To move or influence by railing.
- (n.) A Spanish coin. See Real.
- (a.) Royal.
- (n.) A gold coin formerly current in England, of the value of ten shillings sterling in the reign of Henry VI., and of fifteen shillings in the reign of Elizabeth.