- Allow or plan for a certain possibility; concede the truth or validity of something; "I allow for this possibility"; "The seamstress planned for 5% shrinkage after the first wash"
- Give or assign a resource to a particular person or cause; "I will earmark this money for your research"; "She sets aside time for meditation every day"
- Consent to, give permission; "She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"; "I won't let the police search her basement"; "I cannot allow you to see your exam"
- Grant as a discount or in exchange; "The camera store owner allowed me $50 on my old camera"
- Make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen; "This permits the water to rush in"; "This sealed door won't allow the water come into the basement"; "This will permit the rain to run off"
- Allow the other (baseball) team to score; "give up a run"
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) The willow; willow twigs.
- (n.) A name given to certain species of willow, especially those which do not have flexible shoots, as Salix caprea, S. cinerea, etc.
- (superl.) Having a yellowish color; of a pale, sickly color, tinged with yellow; as, a sallow skin.
- (v. t.) To tinge with sallowness.