- (n.) The trunk or stem of a tree, or that which is like it.
- (n.) An aperture, with a wooden shutter, in the wall of a house, for giving, occasionally, air or light; also, a small closet.
- (n.) A measure. See Boll, n., 2.
- (n.) Any one of several varieties of friable earthy clay, usually colored more or less strongly red by oxide of iron, and used to color and adulterate various substances. It was formerly used in medicine. It is composed essentially of hydrous silicates of alumina, or more rarely of magnesia. See Clay, and Terra alba.
- (n.) A bolus; a dose.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: LOEB
- United States physiologist (born in Germany) who did research on parthenogenesis (1859-1924)
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) Any projection or division, especially one of a somewhat rounded form
- (n.) A rounded projection or division of a leaf.
- (n.) A membranous flap on the sides of the toes of certain birds, as the coot.
- (n.) A round projecting part of an organ, as of the liver, lungs, brain, etc. See Illust. of Brain.
- (n.) The projecting part of a cam wheel or of a non-circular gear wheel.