- (n.) A compound of gooseberries scalded and crushed, with cream; -- commonly called gooseberry fool.
- (n.) One destitute of reason, or of the common powers of understanding; an idiot; a natural.
- (n.) A person deficient in intellect; one who acts absurdly, or pursues a course contrary to the dictates of wisdom; one without judgment; a simpleton; a dolt.
- (n.) One who acts contrary to moral and religious wisdom; a wicked person.
- (n.) One who counterfeits folly; a professional jester or buffoon; a retainer formerly kept to make sport, dressed fantastically in motley, with ridiculous accouterments.
- (v. i.) To play the fool; to trifle; to toy; to spend time in idle sport or mirth.
- (v. t.) To infatuate; to make foolish.
- (v. t.) To use as a fool; to deceive in a shameful or mortifying manner; to impose upon; to cheat by inspiring foolish confidence; as, to fool one out of his money.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: LOOF
- (n.) The spongelike fibers of the fruit of a cucurbitaceous plant (Luffa Aegyptiaca); called also vegetable sponge.
- (n.) Formerly, some appurtenance of a vessel which was used in changing her course; -- probably a large paddle put over the lee bow to help bring her head nearer to the wind.
- (n.) The part of a ship's side where the planking begins to curve toward bow and stern.
- (v. i.) See Luff.