- Nocturnal bird of prey with hawk-like beak and claws and large head with front-facing eyes
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: LOWS
- Make a low noise, characteristic of bovines
- The lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; used to start a car moving
- A low level or position or degree; "the stock market fell to a new low"
- British political cartoonist (born in New Zealand) who created the character Colonel Blimp (1891-1963)
- An air mass of lower pressure; often brings precipitation; "a low moved in over night bringing sleet and snow"
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- Imp. of Slee, to slay. Slew.
- (superl.) Moving a short space in a relatively long time; not swift; not quick in motion; not rapid; moderate; deliberate; as, a slow stream; a slow motion.
- (superl.) Not happening in a short time; gradual; late.
- (superl.) Not ready; not prompt or quick; dilatory; sluggish; as, slow of speech, and slow of tongue.
- (superl.) Not hasty; not precipitate; acting with deliberation; tardy; inactive.
- (superl.) Behind in time; indicating a time earlier than the true time; as, the clock or watch is slow.
- (superl.) Not advancing or improving rapidly; as, the slow growth of arts and sciences.
- (superl.) Heavy in wit; not alert, prompt, or spirited; wearisome; dull.
- (adv.) Slowly.
- (v. t.) To render slow; to slacken the speed of; to retard; to delay; as, to slow a steamer.
- (v. i.) To go slower; -- often with up; as, the train slowed up before crossing the bridge.
- (n.) A moth.
- (v. t.) Alt. of Sowle
- (v. i.) See Soul, v. i.