- (superl.) Having the color of the clear sky, or a hue resembling it, whether lighter or darker; as, the deep, blue sea; as blue as a sapphire; blue violets.
- (superl.) Pale, without redness or glare, -- said of a flame; hence, of the color of burning brimstone, betokening the presence of ghosts or devils; as, the candle burns blue; the air was blue with oaths.
- (superl.) Low in spirits; melancholy; as, to feel blue.
- (superl.) Suited to produce low spirits; gloomy in prospect; as, thongs looked blue.
- (superl.) Severe or over strict in morals; gloom; as, blue and sour religionists; suiting one who is over strict in morals; inculcating an impracticable, severe, or gloomy mortality; as, blue laws.
- (superl.) Literary; -- applied to women; -- an abbreviation of bluestocking.
- (n.) One of the seven colors into which the rays of light divide themselves, when refracted through a glass prism; the color of the clear sky, or a color resembling that, whether lighter or darker; a pigment having such color. Sometimes, poetically, the sky.
- (n.) A pedantic woman; a bluestocking.
- (pl.) Low spirits; a fit of despondency; melancholy.
- (v. t.) To make blue; to dye of a blue color; to make blue by heating, as metals, etc.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: LUBE
- A substance capable of reducing friction by making surfaces smooth or slippery
- Apply a lubricant to; "lubricate my car"