- (v. i.) To express or feel sorrow; to weep or wail; to mourn.
- (v. t.) To mourn for; to bemoan; to bewail.
- (v.) Grief or sorrow expressed in complaints or cries; lamentation; a wailing; a moaning; a weeping.
- (v.) An elegy or mournful ballad, or the like.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: MANTEL
- (n.) The finish around a fireplace, covering the chimney-breast in front and sometimes on both sides; especially, a shelf above the fireplace, and its supports.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A loose garment to be worn over other garments; an enveloping robe; a cloak. Hence, figuratively, a covering or concealing envelope.
- (n.) Same as Mantling.
- (n.) The external fold, or folds, of the soft, exterior membrane of the body of a mollusk. It usually forms a cavity inclosing the gills. See Illusts. of Buccinum, and Byssus.
- (n.) Any free, outer membrane.
- (n.) The back of a bird together with the folded wings.
- (n.) A mantel. See Mantel.
- (n.) The outer wall and casing of a blast furnace, above the hearth.
- (n.) A penstock for a water wheel.
- (v. t.) To cover or envelop, as with a mantle; to cloak; to hide; to disguise.
- (v. i.) To unfold and spread out the wings, like a mantle; -- said of hawks. Also used figuratively.
- (v. i.) To spread out; -- said of wings.
- (v. i.) To spread over the surface as a covering; to overspread; as, the scum mantled on the pool.
- (v. i.) To gather, assume, or take on, a covering, as froth, scum, etc.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the chin; genian; as, the mental nerve; the mental region.
- (n.) A plate or scale covering the mentum or chin of a fish or reptile.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the mind; intellectual; as, mental faculties; mental operations, conditions, or exercise.