- (n. pl.) The benevolent spirits of the dead, especially of dead ancestors, regarded as family deities and protectors.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: MEANS
- Have a specified degree of importance; "My ex-husband means nothing to me"; "Happiness means everything"
- An average of n numbers computed by adding some function of the numbers and dividing by some function of n
- How a result is obtained or an end is achieved; "a means of control"; "an example is the best agency of instruction"; "the true way to success"
- An instrumentality for accomplishing some end
- Considerable capital (wealth or income); "he is a man of means"
- Have in mind as a purpose; "I mean no harm"; "I only meant to help you"; "She didn't think to harm me"; "We thought to return early that night"
- Destine or designate for a certain purpose; "These flowers were meant for you"
- Intend to refer to; "I'm thinking of good food when I talk about France"; "Yes, I meant you when I complained about people who gossip!"
- Denote or connote; "`maison' means `house' in French"; "An example sentence would show what thi
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A dwelling house, generally with land attached.
- (n.) The parsonage; a clergyman's house.
- A faint constellation in the polar region of the southern hemisphere and containing part of the Large Magellanic Cloud
- Identify as in botany or biology, for example
- Give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of; "List the states west of the Mississippi"
- Mention and identify by name; "name your accomplices!"
- Make reference to; "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
- Give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property; "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
- By the sanction or authority of; "halt in the name of the law"
- Assign a specified (usually proper) proper name to; "They named their son David"; "The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader"
- A language unit by which a person or thing is known; "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing"
- Create and charge with a task or function; "nominate a committee"