- Of Smell
- Imp. & p. p. of Smell.
- (n.) Any one of numerous species of small silvery salmonoid fishes of the genus Osmerus and allied genera, which ascend rivers to spawn, and sometimes become landlocked in lakes. They are esteemed as food, and have a peculiar odor and taste.
- (n.) A gull; a simpleton.
- (v. i.) To melt or fuse, as, ore, for the purpose of separating and refining the metal; hence, to reduce; to refine; to flux or scorify; as, to smelt tin.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: MELTS
- Become less intense and fade away gradually; "her resistance melted under his charm"; "her hopes evaporated after years of waiting for her fiance"
- The process whereby heat changes something from a solid to a liquid; "the power failure caused a refrigerator melt that was a disaster"; "the thawing of a frozen turkey takes several hours"
- Become less clearly visible or distinguishable; disappear gradually or seemingly; "The scene begins to fade"; "The tree trunks are melting into the forest at dusk"
- Become more relaxed, easygoing, or genial; "With age, he mellowed"
- Become or cause to become soft or liquid; "The sun melted the ice"; "the ice thawed"; "the ice cream melted"; "The heat melted the wax"; "The giant iceberg dissolved over the years during the global warming phase"; "dethaw the meat"
- Lose its distinct outline or shape; blend gradually; "Hundreds of actors were melting into the scene"
- Reduce or cause to be reduced from a