- (n.) A hermit.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: MITRE
- (n.) A covering for the head, worn on solemn occasions by church dignitaries. It has been made in many forms, the present form being a lofty cap with two points or peaks.
- (n.) The surface forming the beveled end or edge of a piece where a miter joint is made; also, a joint formed or a junction effected by two beveled ends or edges; a miter joint.
- (n.) A sort of base money or coin.
- (n. & v.) See Miter.
- (v. i.) To meet and match together, as two pieces of molding, on a line bisecting the angle of junction.
- (v. t.) To place a miter upon; to adorn with a miter.
- (v. t.) To match together, as two pieces of molding or brass rule on a line bisecting the angle of junction; to bevel the ends or edges of, for the purpose of matching together at an angle.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) The quality or state of deserving well or ill; desert.
- (n.) Esp. in a good sense: The quality or state of deserving well; worth; excellence.
- (n.) Reward deserved; any mark or token of excellence or approbation; as, his teacher gave him ten merits.
- (n.) To earn by service or performance; to have a right to claim as reward; to deserve; sometimes, to deserve in a bad sense; as, to merit punishment.
- (n.) To reward.
- (v. i.) To acquire desert; to gain value; to receive benefit; to profit.
- (n.) Alt. of Mitre
- (v. t.) Alt. of Mitre
- (v. i.) Alt. of Mitre
- (v. t.) To send back; to give up; to surrender; to resign.
- (v. t.) To restore.
- (v. t.) To transmit or send, esp. to a distance, as money in payment of a demand, account, draft, etc.; as, he remitted the amount by mail.
- (v. t.) To send off or away; hence: (a) To refer or direct (one) for information, guidance, help, etc. "Remitting them . . . to the works of Galen." Sir T. Elyot. (b) To submit, refer, or leave (something) for judgment or decision.
- (v. t.) To relax in intensity; to make less violent; to abate.
- (v. t.) To forgive; to pardon; to remove.
- (v. t.) To refrain from exacting or enforcing; as, to remit the performance of an obligation.
- (v. i.) To abate in force or in violence; to grow less intense; to become moderated; to abate; to relax; as, a fever remits; the severity of the weather remits.
- (v. i.) To send money, as in payment.
- (n.) A timekeeper; especially, a watch by which small intervals of time can be measured; a kind of stop watch. It is used for timing the speed of horses, machinery, etc.