- (n.) The science and the art of tones, or musical sounds, i. e., sounds of higher or lower pitch, begotten of uniform and synchronous vibrations, as of a string at various degrees of tension; the science of harmonical tones which treats of the principles of harmony, or the properties, dependences, and relations of tones to each other; the art of combining tones in a manner to please the ear.
- (n.) Melody; a rhythmical and otherwise agreeable succession of tones.
- (n.) Harmony; an accordant combination of simultaneous tones.
- (n.) The written and printed notation of a musical composition; the score.
- (n.) Love of music; capacity of enjoying music.
- (n.) A more or less musical sound made by many of the lower animals. See Stridulation.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: MUSCI
- (n. pl.) An order or subclass of cryptogamous plants; the mosses. See Moss, and Cryptogamia.