- (n.) A public proclamation or edict; a public order or notice, mandatory or prohibitory; a summons by public proclamation.
- (n.) A calling together of the king's (esp. the French king's) vassals for military service; also, the body of vassals thus assembled or summoned. In present usage, in France and Prussia, the most effective part of the population liable to military duty and not in the standing army.
- (n.) Notice of a proposed marriage, proclaimed in church. See Banns (the common spelling in this sense).
- (n.) An interdiction, prohibition, or proscription.
- (n.) A curse or anathema.
- (n.) A pecuniary mulct or penalty laid upon a delinquent for offending against a ban; as, a mulct paid to a bishop by one guilty of sacrilege or other crimes.
- (v. t.) To curse; to invoke evil upon.
- (v. t.) To forbid; to interdict.
- (v. i.) To curse; to swear.
- (n.) An ancient title of the warden of the eastern marches of Hungary; now, a title of the viceroy of Croatia and Slavonia.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: NAB
- (n.) The summit of an eminence.
- (n.) The cock of a gunlock.
- (n.) The keeper, or box into which the lock is shot.
- (v. t.) To catch or seize suddenly or unexpectedly.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!