- (n.) A bench; a high seat, or seat of distinction or judgment; a tribunal or court.
- (n.) A mound, pile, or ridge of earth, raised above the surrounding level; hence, anything shaped like a mound or ridge of earth; as, a bank of clouds; a bank of snow.
- (n.) A steep acclivity, as the slope of a hill, or the side of a ravine.
- (n.) The margin of a watercourse; the rising ground bordering a lake, river, or sea, or forming the edge of a cutting, or other hollow.
- (n.) An elevation, or rising ground, under the sea; a shoal, shelf, or shallow; as, the banks of Newfoundland.
- (n.) The face of the coal at which miners are working.
- (n.) A deposit of ore or coal, worked by excavations above water level.
- (n.) The ground at the top of a shaft; as, ores are brought to bank.
- (v. t.) To raise a mound or dike about; to inclose, defend, or fortify with a bank; to embank.
- (v. t.) To heap or pile up; as, to bank sand.
- (v. t.) To pass by the banks of.
- (n.) A bench, as for rowers in a galley; also, a tier of oars.
- (n.) The bench or seat upon which the judges sit.
- (n.) The regular term of a court of law, or the full court sitting to hear arguments upon questions of law, as distinguished from a sitting at Nisi Prius, or a court held for jury trials. See Banc.
- (n.) A sort of table used by printers.
- (n.) A bench, or row of keys belonging to a keyboard, as in an organ.
- (n.) An establishment for the custody, loan, exchange, or issue, of money, and for facilitating the transmission of funds by drafts or bills of exchange; an institution incorporated for performing one or more of such functions, or the stockholders (or their representatives, the directors), acting in their corporate capacity.
- (n.) The building or office used for banking purposes.
- (n.) A fund from deposits or contributions, to be used in transacting business; a joint stock or capital.
- (n.) The sum of money or the checks which the dealer or banker has as a fund, from which to draw his stakes and pay his losses.
- (n.) In certain games, as dominos, a fund of pieces from which the players are allowed to draw.
- (v. t.) To deposit in a bank.
- (v. i.) To keep a bank; to carry on the business of a banker.
- (v. i.) To deposit money in a bank; to have an account with a banker.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: NABK
- (n.) The edible berries of the Zizyphys Lotus, a tree of Northern Africa, and Southwestern Europe.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To seize with the teeth; to gnaw.
- (v. t.) To nab. See Nab, v. t.