- (n.) A human being; -- opposed tobeast.
- (n.) Especially: An adult male person; a grown-up male person, as distinguished from a woman or a child.
- (n.) The human race; mankind.
- (n.) The male portion of the human race.
- (n.) One possessing in a high degree the distinctive qualities of manhood; one having manly excellence of any kind.
- (n.) An adult male servant; also, a vassal; a subject.
- (n.) A term of familiar address often implying on the part of the speaker some degree of authority, impatience, or haste; as, Come, man, we 've no time to lose!
- (n.) A married man; a husband; -- correlative to wife.
- (n.) One, or any one, indefinitely; -- a modified survival of the Saxon use of man, or mon, as an indefinite pronoun.
- (n.) One of the piece with which certain games, as chess or draughts, are played.
- (v. t.) To supply with men; to furnish with a sufficient force or complement of men, as for management, service, defense, or the like; to guard; as, to man a ship, boat, or fort.
- (v. t.) To furnish with strength for action; to prepare for efficiency; to fortify.
- (v. t.) To tame, as a hawk.
- (v. t.) To furnish with a servants.
- (v. t.) To wait on as a manservant.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: NAM
- Am not.
- Imp. of Nim.
- (imp.) of Nim