Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: NEIF
- (n.) Alt. of Neife
- (n.) Alt. of Neaf
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (superl.) Finished; brought to perfection; refined; hence, free from impurity; excellent; superior; elegant; worthy of admiration; accomplished; beautiful.
- (superl.) Aiming at show or effect; loaded with ornament; overdressed or overdecorated; showy.
- (superl.) Nice; delicate; subtle; exquisite; artful; skillful; dexterous.
- (superl.) Not coarse, gross, or heavy
- (superl.) Not gross; subtile; thin; tenous.
- (superl.) Not coarse; comminuted; in small particles; as, fine sand or flour.
- (superl.) Not thick or heavy; slender; filmy; as, a fine thread.
- (superl.) Thin; attenuate; keen; as, a fine edge.
- (superl.) Made of fine materials; light; delicate; as, fine linen or silk.
- (superl.) Having (such) a proportion of pure metal in its composition; as, coins nine tenths fine.
- (superl.) (Used ironically.)
- (a.) To make fine; to refine; to purify, to clarify; as, to fine gold.
- (a.) To make finer, or less coarse, as in bulk, texture, etc.; as. to fine the soil.
- (a.) To change by fine gradations; as (Naut.), to fine down a ship's lines, to diminish her lines gradually.
- (n.) End; conclusion; termination; extinction.
- (n.) A sum of money paid as the settlement of a claim, or by way of terminating a matter in dispute; especially, a payment of money imposed upon a party as a punishment for an offense; a mulct.
- (n.) A final agreement concerning lands or rents between persons, as the lord and his vassal.
- (n.) A sum of money or price paid for obtaining a benefit, favor, or privilege, as for admission to a copyhold, or for obtaining or renewing a lease.
- (n.) To impose a pecuniary penalty upon for an offense or breach of law; to set a fine on by judgment of a court; to punish by fine; to mulct; as, the trespassers were fined ten dollars.
- (v. i.) To pay a fine. See Fine, n., 3 (b).
- (v. t.) To finish; to cease; or to cause to cease.
- (n.) See Neif, the fist.