- (n.) A chink or cleft; a narrow and deep ravine; as, Shanklin Chine in the Isle of Wight, a quarter of a mile long and 230 feet deep.
- (n.) The backbone or spine of an animal; the back.
- (n.) A piece of the backbone of an animal, with the adjoining parts, cut for cooking. [See Illust. of Beef.]
- (n.) The edge or rim of a cask, etc., formed by the projecting ends of the staves; the chamfered end of a stave.
- (v. t.) To cut through the backbone of; to cut into chine pieces.
- (v. t.) Too chamfer the ends of a stave and form the chine..
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: NICHE
- (n.) A cavity, hollow, or recess, generally within the thickness of a wall, for a statue, bust, or other erect ornament. hence, any similar position, literal or figurative.