- (v. t.) To set on fire.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (a.) Wild; untamed; savage; as, lions, tigers, wolves, and bears are ferine beasts.
- (n.) A wild beast; a beast of prey.
- (v. i.) To run in dept by getting goods made up in a way unsuitable for the use of others, and then threatening not to take them except on credit.
- (v. t.) To veneer.
- (v. t.) To reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; to free from impurities; to free from dross or alloy; to separate from extraneous matter; to purify; to defecate; as, to refine gold or silver; to refine iron; to refine wine or sugar.
- (v. t.) To purify from what is gross, coarse, vulgar, inelegant, low, and the like; to make elegant or exellent; to polish; as, to refine the manners, the language, the style, the taste, the intellect, or the moral feelings.
- (v. i.) To become pure; to be cleared of feculent matter.
- (v. i.) To improve in accuracy, delicacy, or excellence.
- (v. i.) To affect nicety or subtilty in thought or language.