- (n.) A large cask; an oblong vessel bulging in the middle, like a pipe or puncheon, and girt with hoops; a wine cask.
- (n.) A fermenting vat.
- (n.) A certain measure for liquids, as for wine, equal to two pipes, four hogsheads, or 252 gallons. In different countries, the tun differs in quantity.
- (n.) A weight of 2,240 pounds. See Ton.
- (n.) An indefinite large quantity.
- (n.) A drunkard; -- so called humorously, or in contempt.
- (n.) Any shell belonging to Dolium and allied genera; -- called also tun-shell.
- (v. i.) To put into tuns, or casks.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: NUT
- (n.) The fruit of certain trees and shrubs (as of the almond, walnut, hickory, beech, filbert, etc.), consisting of a hard and indehiscent shell inclosing a kernel.
- (n.) A perforated block (usually a small piece of metal), provided with an internal or female screw thread, used on a bolt, or screw, for tightening or holding something, or for transmitting motion. See Illust. of lst Bolt.
- (n.) The tumbler of a gunlock.
- (n.) A projection on each side of the shank of an anchor, to secure the stock in place.
- (v. i.) To gather nuts.