- South American wood sorrel cultivated for its edible tubers
- A Turkish liquid unit equal to 1.3 pints
- A Turkish unit of weight equal to about 2.75 pounds
- Canadian cheese
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: OAKS
- A deciduous tree of the genus Quercus; has acorns and lobed leaves; "great oaks grow from little acorns"
- The hard durable wood of any oak; used especially for furniture and flooring
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To cause or suffer to lie in a fluid till the substance has imbibed what it can contain; to macerate in water or other liquid; to steep, as for the purpose of softening or freshening; as, to soak cloth; to soak bread; to soak salt meat, salt fish, or the like.
- (v. t.) To drench; to wet thoroughly.
- (v. t.) To draw in by the pores, or through small passages; as, a sponge soaks up water; the skin soaks in moisture.
- (v. t.) To make (its way) by entering pores or interstices; -- often with through.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To absorb; to drain.
- (v. i.) To lie steeping in water or other liquid; to become sturated; as, let the cloth lie and soak.
- (v. i.) To enter (into something) by pores or interstices; as, water soaks into the earth or other porous matter.
- (v. i.) To drink intemperately or gluttonously.