- (a.) See Ovine.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: OLIVE
- (a.) Approaching the color of the olive; of a peculiar dark brownish, yellowish, or tawny green.
- (n.) A tree (Olea Europaea) with small oblong or elliptical leaves, axillary clusters of flowers, and oval, one-seeded drupes. The tree has been cultivated for its fruit for thousands of years, and its branches are the emblems of peace. The wood is yellowish brown and beautifully variegated.
- (n.) The fruit of the olive. It has been much improved by cultivation, and is used for making pickles. Olive oil is pressed from its flesh.
- (n.) Any shell of the genus Oliva and allied genera; -- so called from the form. See Oliva.
- (n.) The oyster catcher.
- (n.) The color of the olive, a peculiar dark brownish, yellowish, or tawny green.
- (n.) One of the tertiary colors, composed of violet and green mixed in equal strength and proportion.
- (n.) An olivary body. See under Olivary.
- (n.) A small slice of meat seasoned, rolled up, and cooked; as, olives of beef or veal.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A vial.
- A light semitransparent fabric