- (n.) Leprosy.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: PEARL
- (a.) Of or pertaining to pearl or pearls; made of pearls, or of mother-of-pearl.
- (n.) A fringe or border.
- (n.) A shelly concretion, usually rounded, and having a brilliant luster, with varying tints, found in the mantle, or between the mantle and shell, of certain bivalve mollusks, especially in the pearl oysters and river mussels, and sometimes in certain univalves. It is usually due to a secretion of shelly substance around some irritating foreign particle. Its substance is the same as nacre, or mother-of-pearl. Pearls which are round, or nearly round, and of fine luster, are highly esteemed as jewels, and compare in value with the precious stones.
- (n.) Hence, figuratively, something resembling a pearl; something very precious.
- (n.) Nacre, or mother-of-pearl.
- (n.) A fish allied to the turbot; the brill.
- (n.) A light-colored tern.
- (n.) One of the circle of tubercles which form the bur on a deer's antler.
- (n.) A whitish speck or film on the eye.
- (n.) A capsule of gelatin or similar substance containing some liquid for medicinal application, as ether.
- (n.) A size of type, between agate and diamond.
- (v. i.) To resemble pearl or pearls.
- (v. i.) To give or hunt for pearls; as, to go pearling.
- (v. t.) To fringe; to border.
- (v. t.) To set or adorn with pearls, or with mother-of-pearl. Used also figuratively.
- (v. t.) To cause to resemble pearls; to make into small round grains; as, to pearl barley.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. i.) To talk; to converse; to parley.
- (n.) Conversation; talk; parley.