Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: PEG
- (n.) A small, pointed piece of wood, used in fastening boards together, in attaching the soles of boots or shoes, etc.; as, a shoe peg.
- (n.) A wooden pin, or nail, on which to hang things, as coats, etc. Hence, colloquially and figuratively: A support; a reason; a pretext; as, a peg to hang a claim upon.
- (n.) One of the pins of a musical instrument, on which the strings are strained.
- (n.) One of the pins used for marking points on a cribbage board.
- (n.) A step; a degree; esp. in the slang phrase "To take one down peg."
- (v. i.) To work diligently, as one who pegs shoes; -- usually with on, at, or away; as, to peg away at a task.
- (v. t.) To put pegs into; to fasten the parts of with pegs; as, to peg shoes; to confine with pegs; to restrict or limit closely.
- (v. t.) To score with a peg, as points in the game; as, she pegged twelwe points.